Monday, April 12, 2010

Worship in My Living Room


From time to time, when I need to focus my mind on God or redirect my thoughts, I turn on a worship album/playlist and have a worship service in my living room. I can sing as loud as I want. I can sing whatever part I want. I can kneel, I can stand, I can jump. Let me just say, Christy Nockels and I sound really good together - ha! If you knew me well, you would know that I love Christy Nockels and that if she is involved - I think it's the best worship CD, service, or conference ever. Just sayin'.
One of my favorite moments in a corporate worship service is when I'm able to bring my private worship into the room. What I mean is, there are some songs that I worship my brains out to at home and when I get the opportunity to lead them in services, it is like a double portion. When God permits some of my private worship to be expressed outside of my living room I find that the experience can be more powerful, more genuine, and more humble than other offerings I could bring.
Leading worship is a privilege I take very seriously. Most importantly, I want my life to reflect that I am in a constant state of worship - in a constant posture of surrender and in the constant effort of pointing to the glory of God. A laid down life is the greatest public demonstration of your private worship. This is the best expression of the glory of God and to the glory of God.
Consider letting your private worship be more than songs. Consider letting it be prayer, study of God's word, and simply an awareness of the presence of Christ IN YOU. Prepare for a double portion as God lets you share your private worship on the public platform of day-to-day life.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear you and Christy sing together sometime. I always thought you two sound alike anyway. When you did Holy Roar a while back, I was amazed at how well you did it and how much you two sound alike. I always love hearing you sing.

    ReplyDelete