Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Apples and Peanut Butter


I shared an interesting lunch with my 2-year old about 30 minutes ago. Today we had apples and peanut butter. That's right, we dipped apples in peanut butter and called it lunch. Besides the fact it's "yummo" (props to Rachel Ray), my 2-year old, Mattie, said to me, "I yike (she says "y" for "l") it when you sit by me." Yes, my heart thudded inside my chest and I thought, "I'm going to kiss the peanut butter right off your sweet little face!"
God's been teaching me that He loves me just because. Just because He wants to, He likes me, and because I'm His. He's been teaching me to really understand Him as Father. I have an amazing earthly father who is Godly, loving, present, protective, etc... so why would I struggle to understand God like this? Well, I guess because He's God. He's HUGE! He's AWESOME! He's HOLY! And He's my Dad? Crazy! Too much to believe sometimes - even more than I realized.
So He's using my kids, more specifically, how I feel towards my kids to teach me how He feels towards me. Today, He said in my spirit, "Me too. I like it when you sit by me, and I like it when you're just glad to sit by me. My heart thuds faster too - for you." I was watching Mattie just yap and yap about something in the van the other day. I could see her in the rearview mirror and she was just a talkin'. I have no idea what she was saying, but just watching her talk I felt such a deep love for her. She and Avery thrill me for no particular reason except that they're my kids and I'm crazy in love with them.
Do you know how crazy over you God is? Ask Him to show you and to tell you. As a parent, I can guarantee there's nothing He would enjoy more than for you to sit still long enough for Him to hold you close and just be near you. He loves you - just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment