Friday, April 16, 2010

I Don't Have to Sing


During nap time everyday I try to take half the time to do something for me like rest or read or watch a show I DVR-ed. Then, during the second half, I try to accomplish some task or chore. Today, I really felt strongly that I was to sit. I laid out in the sun - because we are vitamin D deficient in our nation (or so the Today show says) and I'm just doing my part to up our national average. Seriously, as I sat outside I watched clouds, talked to a friend, and enjoyed the breeze.
Then, a bird started singing. LOUDLY singing! I mean, I thought the thing was in panic mode. The tempos varied, the pitches changed, and the range was incredible! I watched this bird perch and sing for about 5 minutes. The song was constant and strong and
I have realized that I don't have to read or study to always experience God. Sometimes I get to just watch the clouds which the Bible, in Nahum, says are the dust of His feet. Sometimes I just get to feel the wind which the Bible equates to the Spirit - unseen and yet observable in its effect. Sometimes I just get to hear birds sing. I don't have to sing. If I never opened my mouth again with a hint of praise in the form of song, the music would keep ringing out. It's in the wind and the songs of birds and the buzzes of bees. There's life "making music" all around us. In this "So You Think You Can Dance" series at Southland, I've been challenged personally to dance to the songs already going on around me in the laughter of my children and even in my tears of grief. There's a rhythm to life and thank goodness that with God, it actually means something...like the song of the bird. While I don't understand a lick of what that bird sang, another bird did and God did, too. I don't always understand everything that happens in life, but God gets that, too, and even guarantees to use it for my good. One day, maybe we'll understand the messages of the songs of all creation. That's a playlist worth owning for sure! So while I don't have to sing, I plan to - LOUDLY - because there's a lot of things to give God credit, honor, and praise for - and all I had to do was sit outside with Him to find some.

No comments:

Post a Comment